Subject: [Leica] fired for Photoshopping
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 08:17:29 -0800

I am disturbed by the readiness to condemn the photographer without taking
into account the broader context in which the result of his image
manipulation was propagated. I agree with Martin that there is a system
problem. Assigning one hundred percent of the blame to the combat
photographer and zero to the picture editor back home strikes me as too
simplistic.
How would we view today Joe Rosenthal's Pulitzer Prize winning, iconic
photograph of raising the flag on Mt. Suribachi? It was reenacted (see
 http://www.iwojima.com/raising/raisingb.htm
and other URLs on the same topic).
When I went to the Signal Corps Photo School in 1953, Rosenthal's picture
was discussed as the rare acceptable exception to the basic rule of "truth
in photography". As others have pointed out, things were a lot simpler in
"the old days": the still photographer handed in his exposed sheet film or
pack with a description of "who, what, where, when" to the darkroom people;
I handed in my exposed 50 foot or 1000 foot rolls of 35mm film that included
a slate with the same basic information (otherwise it was useless). In
either case some editor took over after the film was processed; that was the
system, and it certainly did not operate in near real time as today's
combination of telecommunication and digital imaging does.
How would we design a system to acquire, edit, and publish combat images
from a location many time zones away, given limited bandwidth to transmit
them, and deadlines to publish?
Oliver Bryk