Subject: Re: [Leica] fired for photoshopping
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 09:51:01 -0500

All of Tim's comments are true, in the old days....I heard editors ask the
ART Dept. to air brush that distracting background or touch up that face. As
photographers or the darkroom technicians always attempted to make the best
possible print.  We cropped to fit layout and/or to improve composition, but
in all this alteration I never saw or experienced the creation on an image
from several others for the purpose of news dissemination.

All photographs represent the view point of the photographer and this
viewpoint is presented to the public through the mind set of the editors. It
is always your truth; however, it should always be the true representation
of that moment in time.  Still to assemble an illustration to represent a
single moment in time is wrong...lying...immoral...untruthful...wrong in the
news context.

Because we now have tools that allow such manipulations with such ease there
is still an obligation to offer truthful representation on moments in time
even though we understand that those representation have been filtered
through the points of view of several people and may have been edited to
correct color, remove noise or otherwise cleaned up...BUT NOT to create an
illustrate of what might have been or what better demonstrates a point of
view.

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander