Subject: Re: [Leica] x-tol replacement: Rodinal
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:47:00 -0800

"Don R." wrote:

> Adding Potassium Iodide to the Buetler formula was Geoffry's addition, as I
> recall.
>
> Now that TEC is available, I just use that. Mike Tatem, the traveling
> representative for ETHOL company told me the TEC formula was Buetler but
> just a slightly different formulation.  I spent a lot of time playing around
> with the chemicals and finally hit pretty close to TEC and stopped wasting
> anymore time.
>
> Now that we don't have Panatomic-X, I am not sure what use it would have.
>
> Don R.

Ah the magic wonders of Metol!

	but ask us for the generic name: P-Methylaminophenol Sulfate
and not only will you NOT save any money;
they will have NO CLUE as to what you're talking about!

Also the sole reducer (developing agent) in D23 film developer.

Also the sole reducer (developing agent) in Selectol-Soft paper developer.
They took the hydroquinone out of that one too.
Selectol-Soft gives the best print color than any paper developer I've
ever used.
Pure  P-Methylaminophenol Sulfate. No Phenidone, additives or artificial colorings.

I even very much enjoy the COLOR that my negs I develop in Beutlers or
D23 have. They look purplish selenium toned.
And the smooth tonality.

Don! those days i almost always used Panatomic.
Now-a-days I use a full gamut of 100,400, and 1600 speeds. All Neopan by
the way.
Are you saying Beutler's only good for the slow stuff? I don't recall
that and seem to recall I'd used it with Tri x a few times.

Monol Rhodiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Also known as