Subject: RE: [Leica] veiling flare on 50/2
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:28:01 -0500

- --On Monday, March 24, 2003 4:38 PM +0000 "Beddoe, Neil"
<nbeddoe@lehman.com> wrote:

>>> Neil,
>
>>> With all due respect, pointing a lens without a shade attached into the
> sun
>>> and then calling it "flare-prone" isn't exactly a fair test. I grant
>>> you  that the shade on the current version 50/2 is something of a joke,
>>> since
> it
>>> doesn't offer as much protection as the older shades and doesn't even
>>> lock
>
>>> in place. I use the screw-in shade made for the current 50/2.8 Elmar
>>> which
>
>>> isn't an ideal solution but it is better than the built-in shade.
>
>>> Rolfe
>
> Am I being dense?  You asked for an example of veiling flare so I posted
> one. You should have asked "Please post an example of veiling flare where
> there is no light source outside the field of vision that could be
> expected to cause flare in a lens."
>
> The veiling flare I get when shooting into the sun with my Summicron is
> worse than I get with any of my other lenses on any of my cameras.  I have
> no idea why that is and I don't really care that much as the viewfinder
> flares up so much under these circumstances that I can't focus anyway.
>
> Neil

No, you aren't being dense:-).

This discussion began whenn someone, I think John Collier, said that his
50/2 exhibited veiling flare when used under normal shooting conditions. I
assume he meant with the appropriate shade, otherwise why complain? I'm
perfectly aware of what veiling flare *is*; I'm just skeptical that it
really is a problem with the 50/2 when used with the shade it is supposed
to be used with.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem