Subject: RE: [Leica] veiling flare on 50/2
From: "Beddoe, Neil" <nbeddoe@lehman.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:38:39 -0000

>>Neil,

>>With all due respect, pointing a lens without a shade attached into the
sun
>>and then calling it "flare-prone" isn't exactly a fair test. I grant you
>>that the shade on the current version 50/2 is something of a joke, since
it
>>doesn't offer as much protection as the older shades and doesn't even lock

>>in place. I use the screw-in shade made for the current 50/2.8 Elmar which

>>isn't an ideal solution but it is better than the built-in shade.

>>Rolfe

Am I being dense?  You asked for an example of veiling flare so I posted
one. You should have asked "Please post an example of veiling flare where
there is no light source outside the field of vision that could be expected
to cause flare in a lens."

The veiling flare I get when shooting into the sun with my Summicron is
worse than I get with any of my other lenses on any of my cameras.  I have
no idea why that is and I don't really care that much as the viewfinder
flares up so much under these circumstances that I can't focus anyway.

Neil

Replies: Reply from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (RE: [Leica] veiling flare on 50/2)