Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 12 dlridings (first test with D100)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 03:01:50 -0800

Daniel Ridings wrote:

> Still "working" this week. Have to pay for that Leica D100.
>
> Well, I only kind of lied. Week 10 I said "never again" when it came to
> shooting a sports event with film, week 11 I did it anyway, but this week
> is the first week with the D100.
>
> http://www.dlridings.com/paw2003/12.html
>
> The new address reflects the fact that I had to upgrade for more disk
> space (involving a domain as well). The old address should work in the
> future too.
>
> What a difference! I shot two rolls of 256mb set at the best jpg quality.
> Came home, copied them to the harddisk, touched up in Photoshop and had
> them up on the web before I even would have been back from the lab if I
> had used film ... and then spent about 10 minutes on each shot, scanning,
> dust removal, etc etc. The girls (and parents) like that: speed. These are
> young kids. Anything that happened 1 day ago is HISTORY.
>
> It was kind of stupid to use the camera almost straight out of the box,
> but this is the "after season", the most important championships are over.
> The girls pull a few daring tricks out of their bag too ... things they
> wouldn't dare do in a championship, so I took my risks with a new camera.
>
> I shot some at EI 1600 and some at HI - 1 (supposed to be twice as
> sensitive as 1600. I don't know why Nikon just doesn't say 3200).
>
> But it does feel nice to take a little M back into my hands to kick around
> with. SLR:s are big.
>
> Daniel

And the reason you didn't shoot it with an M? Your spending money on
Nikons instead of a 135 apo and a 90 apo asph and you have the nerve to
tell US about it?

And the reason you gave us an involved blow by blow break down of a
Nikon digital camera?

And calling it a Leica this is a joke? This is funny? You hate to ruin a
joke by explaining it but I'm just out of the Loup on this one. Would
you mind?

I hope the implication is not that since Leica does not make a
professional Digital camera we are forced to look elsewhere and all bets
are off -or anything goes because of that. Because there are lots of
digital cameras coming out every day which take Nikon and Canon lenses
and I have no interest in them at least on this list. I'm pretty sure
they are not in the rules of the list. The PDQ or whatever. Be nice of
your enthusiasm was directed towards things we are here to talk about.
Leica things.
A pro digital camera which takes Leica lenses will come out soon enough
and we'll break it down like crazy here on list.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com