Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: cheap Nikon AF body? .. for one lens only
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:59:56 -0800

Doug Herr wrote:

> on 3/23/03 8:11 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabinergroup.com wrote:
> > The older pre AF Nikkor macros are said to be better than the AF's.

> > I understand a MACRO-ELMARIT-R f/2.8/60 mm can be picked up used for the
> > price of two new Leica UV filters plus one back cap!.
> > A lens which, like the Zeiss Planar CFI 3.5/100 would send shivers down
> > your back it's so sharp.
>
> I have both the 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor and the 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R.
> Sharpness it quite comparable; color saturation and flare control, it's no
> contest.  The kids get to use the Nikkor.

As I said last week its our favorite repair persons favorite lens,
Sherry over there on the east coast.

Are you saying the Nikkor got better color saturation and flare control
then the 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R!
Doug! that's the hardest one to swallow since you last week said the
little 200 dollar Cosina (Voigtländer) was better then our 2000 Elmarit
Asph?! My opinion of you is high of course but my throat is starting to
hurt! I'm not going to argue with you are talking wide angle. But now we
are into the macro area.

Leica M glass especially is a highly premium product. I have faith in
them (Leica) I'm sure they screw up every once and a while. But not weekly!

All this work sparing no expense and charging for it to come out with
premium designed and manufactured glass and the lens of the week is
always getting beaten out at every turn by broad based consumer
companies such as Cosina and Nikon!
I don't buy it!

Two many anomalies in the universe i don't think Leica screws up on a
lens that often.
If we cant easily beat those guys then why bother?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from "faneuil" <leica_korenman@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: cheap Nikon AF body? .. for one lens only)