Subject: [Leica] Calibrating 135/2.8-M 'eyes'
From: "Gary Brook" <gmb@cyberone.com.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:05:57 +1100

Caveat emptor seems a reasonable starting point for this so...

I recently had the eyes of my Elmarit-M cleaned by a local camera tech.  In
the process of doing this he has lost the focusing calibration of the eyes.
The focussing patch of the rangefinder no longer aligns vertically and the
horizontal overlap point corresponds with about 7m when the lens is set to
infinity.  He has had a second try at resetting the calibration but is doing
so by trial and error rather than with any optical test equipment.  It
seemed as though he had done so correctly but all of a sudden the settings
appear to have shifted and the whole setup is out once again (no knocks
bumps on my part however).  Does anyone know what is involved in re-setting
the eyes correctly and can anyone recommend a competent repairer with some
experience of what is required.

All contributions gratefully received on this one.  I'm in Canberra,
Australia.  Regards,

Gary Brook