Subject: [Leica] tri-elmar repair thread
From: "Gary Klein" <leicaman@lakebreeze.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:36:05 -0600

None of my Leica M stuff has seen passport basis for some time now.  I
understand why you would want it fixed if its a warranty type repair.
However, that said, I think Leica has to think a little more about the
customer base.

When my Canon 16~35mm L zoom went down with a sticking zoom ring, I sent it
off to Canon and exactly 9 days later the lens was back in my hands.  The
lens was under warranty and they truly went to bat to get it back into my
hands in a speedy timely manner.  I sent it to Canon Next Day Air.  They
fixed the problem perfectly and the lens is again making sharp images.

I think other luggers suggestions of the person buying another Tri-Elmar, is
not that far off the mark.  Its a pain, but as Leica is a limited market, it
just seems to take longer, when it really ought not to.  As handy as a
Tri-elmar would be I plan on sticking with my 35mm, 50mm and 90mm summicron
trio as they work and I am not completely lens less should it go south on
me.

I wish the tri-elmar owner well in getting it fixed in a fairly speedy
manner.  I would suggest to use independent Leica repair stations (DAG,
Sherry) for out of warranty lens work however.

good luck

gck