Subject: [Leica] OT - National Geographic film usage
From: "Gary Klein" <leicaman@lakebreeze.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:43:20 -0500

As far as film usage for me, when I was shooting film on a daily basis at my
newspaper, I would shoot between 2 and 12 rolls a day, depending upon how
many jobs I had that day.  But there are other factors.

My film usage went down when we switched to autofocus Canon cameras as I was
more sure of my keepers due to focus.  However, my Leica M always had had a
great percent of keepers for the reasons all you Leica M lovers know.  It
also made sense for me as I used Nikon.  As you may not know, the manual
focus Nikon focuses backwards of Canon and Leica.  When we switched I could
concentrate on just one camera system for focus and thus my keepers
improved.  I have never used the manual focus option on my eos cameras with
the exception of a tweak with the 16~35mm lenses.

I never thought about how many rolls I burned up, I always had a ton of film
with me.  At least 20 extra rolls at any given time. In my mind it was more
important to work the subject until I had "the" image of the event.
Sometimes, I would be very economical and shoot six assignments on only 2
rolls of film.  It all really depends upon the situation at hand.  I always
have deadlines to keep my usage in check.

Today, with shooting eos 1d digital, I go out in the field with four 256mb
cards and usually fill three of them on a busy day.  At ISO 400 I get about
100 shots per card.  Which is around six rolls of film.  But the chief
advantage of digital is I can erase the dogs before I get back to the office
if I need more room.

National geographic shooters are on a different plane than me.  Their
passion is so overwhelming for their subject they nearly live it.  Their
personal lives have seen a high divorce rate and I am personally not sure if
I ever would want that.  So we all have compromise and mine is to do
community photojournalism.  To give you an idea of the good stuff we do here
is a link to our scrapbook pages, which load as .pdf files (they are kinda
big, be patient).  Digital has given us more freedom to do this type of
stuff, as the powers that be are always concerned about the bottom line.
Our staff  loves it because the work flow is faster and that means I can
stay at a job longer.

http://www.wisinfo.com/sheboyganpress/news/scrapbook/index.shtml

Even today, as my Leica Ms are purely a tool of personal expression, I
always have at least 20 rolls of Tri-X handy.  That way I do not avoid my
film cameras.  Yes, I am cheap as I use bulk loaded Tri-X.   I use a good
bulk loader, but I bulk load in total darkness so I can get usable frames to
the end of the roll.  Just don't trash me for using bulk film, I have heard
all the arguments and I just happen to be very fussy how my loaders etc are
kept.

gck