Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summilux from KEH, should I complain?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 02:26:12 -0800

Martin Howard wrote:

> Oil on aperture blades, nicks on barrels, small scratches on elements
> pretty much all fall into the same category.  There are basically three
> options for dealing with it:
>
>         a) Get your knickers in a twist, work up an ulcer, loose sleep, time,
> and possibly
>         money by worrying weather it will affect your images -- conveniently
> forgetting
>         that unless you shoot at the optimum aperture, on a tripod, critically
> focussed,
>         in perfect lighting, on slow film, developed at the optimal contrast
> index, and
>         perfectly printed, chances are it isn't going to make any visible
> difference;
>
>         b) Send the thing back unless you're 100% happy with it for the price
> you paid
>         and get a refund;
>
>         c) Take pictures.
>
> Maybe I'm just dumb, but (b) or (c) seems a hell of a lot simpler to me.
>
> M.

Martin if we were as casual as you say we should be about our lenses we
wouldn't be shelling out thousands for them forsaking autofocus instead
of the hundreds everyone else does. Should we ever for some God forsake
reason (like it's dark) decide to put our camera on a tripod and blow up
the picture we want do be able to say "gee glad i saved up a year for
that glass you can see the split ends on the tip of that persons
eyelashes. My Pentax would have made all the eyelashes one big clump!"
What's so unreasonable about sending in a beat up looking lens to get CLA'd?
Would one have to sooner or later anyway assuming  they're actually
taking pictures with the lens which will make it show all kinds of wear
and lower it's resale value.

Myself and a few others on this list have actually taken a shot with a
tripod and blown it up super big and peered into it.
When you look at that mural sized print; a 20x24 to 30x40 and with a
cheap lens you wonder just how much more you'd be seeing as you study
different areas of the print for detail than if you were using say a
moderately priced lens. Like a Pentax lens instend of a Tamron.

If you were using a moderately priced lens you'd wonder how much more
information you'd be party to had you used premium glass.
You think "naaa that high end glass is not going to give me much more
detail here I'll stick with my Pentax" or you think
"boy i bet if i get a real expensive good lens like a Leica or somthing
I'll see all kinds of stuff when i blow up a picture this size I"m not
seeing now"

But you're right it takes a process like this, blowing a shot up huge to
get someone more tuned into their glass and what it needs to do for
them. It did for me at least.

The thing is when we're 80 we could decide that a neg we shot when we
were 20 needs to fill half the wall of the cabin in our new Spaceship.
THAT'S when you're glad you were on that paper route and got that little
Leica instead of a Turbocharger for your Chevy.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from "Richard F. Man" <richard@imagecraft.com> (Re: [Leica] 35 Summilux from KEH, should I complain?)