Subject: [Leica] OT: Minolta Dimage Scan Multi II opinions?
From: Randy Jensen <randy@jamzcheer.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:49:44 -0800

I need to get a film scanner that will also do medium format (645)
negatives.  If I don't want to spend almost $3000 (I don't), the only option
seems to be this scanner.  I can get one for about $500 reconditioned.

The problem is I can't find any real reviews on this model on the web.  The
specs and downloadable manual from Minolta's website make it seem almost
perfect for what I want to do (which is make small to reasonably large
prints - like 16x20 maybe).

Does anyone own this scanner?  Apparently the original Scan Multi only
scanned medium format at very low resolution (barely over 1100dpi), and the
same is true of the model II, except that it will interpolate to 2880 dpi.
It also says that it adjusts it's "scanning pitch" to do this, which makes
me think it's not ONLY a software difference, but something is actually
happening during the scan to make this interpolation better than Photoshop
could do by itself.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks in advance!!!

Randy

Replies: Reply from Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Minolta Dimage Scan Multi II opinions?)