Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Leica ?, M5, M6TTL, or M7
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:21:06 -0500

bdcolen wrote:
> I believe that what E. Leitz was unhappy with was not the M5, which was,
> when all is said and done, one of the most advanced, useful, cameras
> Leitz ever introduced. What Leitz was unhappy with was the reactionary
> Leica buyers who didn't know what to make of the M5. Yes, it's bigger
> than the M4 was - but not by very much. The real curse of the M5 was
> that it had an internal meter - a very good one as a matter of fact -
> and the all mechanical Leica aficionados just weren't ready for the
> built-in meter at that point, nor were they ready for a "bigger" camera.
>
> Just MHO. ;-)
> B. D.

Just about everyone hated the 2-lug version, with the camera hanging
vertically. By the time Leica got around to adding the third lug, the
camera was dead in the water.

The M5 is physically only a little bigger than the M4, but in one's
hands it feels MUCH larger.

I think the market rejection of the M5 was largely due to those two
factors. When the M6 came around, the market embraced the internal meter
so I really don't think that was much of an issue.

Just MHO too.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem