Subject: Re: [Leica] Optimized Features of the Leica MP
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 00:54:41 -0500

Kit McChesney | acmefoto wrote:
> Rolfe--
>
> Well, with all due respect, I think Leica is smarter than that--that is,
> they aren't coming out with the MP because the M7 is unpopular. Quite the
> contrary. The M7 is a very popular camera. (Sorry Austin, I used the word
> "very" once again!) Leica is responding to what folks want. Lots of
> photographers want the features that the M7 has; lots of photographers want
> what the MP has, and what the M6 had. Some of those folks live in the same
> body!
>
> The M7 is a logical development for those who are looking for the features
> it offers. There is a noisy cadre on the LUG and elsewhere complaining ad
> infinitum about the electronics and automation in the M7, but I can tell you
> that they are in the minority. The camera is well-liked/loved by many
> photographers. And now the MP will be the purely mechanical counterpart to
> the M7, offering features that appeal to a different sensibility. And as I
> said already, I'm sure we will see photographers with both cameras in their
> cases. I know I'm going to be one of them--an MP and M7 household--I can't
> wait to get an MP for myself!
>
> Point is, there's lots to like in both cameras. And they both allow the
> photographer to make great images, and who can argue with that? Besides,
> they're tools. Some folks prefer power tools, others like hand tools. I'm
> sure no one bases their choices for their photography collections on whether
> or not the photographer used a mechanical camera!
>
> Cheers! ;-)
>
> Kit

Kit,

We have no disagreement...

I personally don't like the M7, but agree it is a logical extention for
Leica. Likewise, I am heartened that Leica has not abandoned the idea of
the purely mechanical camera, which has appeal to a certain segment, of
which I am one.

My comments were meant to be partially tounge-in-cheek, but I do think
that Leica has heeded the complaints of some of its user-base that it
needed to pay more attention to those who think things have gone
downhill since the M4. Obviously, they felt there was some merit to that
line of thinking or the company wouldn't have produced the MP.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Optimized Features of the Leica MP)