Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus Leica R
From: "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:45:23 -0500

Kit,

Please slow down for a minute. Take a breath and listen. Music and Photography
have in common that they are both art forms. But, they are also very different.
One of the three key elements which make up music, Rhythm, is, beyond doubt,
accessible to deaf people because it involves physical sensation and physical
motion. A deaf person can think up a rhythm and tap it out as well as anyone,
and this can be easily demonstrated. A blind photographer and a deaf musician
just aren't a comparison which is exact enough to be useful in this case. A deaf
musician can meet the classical definition of art. A blind photographer can't.
If you want to switch ground a little and argue that there is far more to art
than classical, high western art, then I would say fine. I agree.

Beethoven just isn't a good example here. He learned his trade before he went
deaf. He knew he was loosing his hearing. He knew that his playing was
deteriorating and was frustrated by it, so much so that he destroyed more than
one piano while playing it. Music is far closer, IMHO, to dance than it is to
photography and painting. I will tell you, as a cellist, that you feel what you
are doing every bit  much as you hear what you are doing. The second you stop
listening to your body your tone tends to go right through the floor. When you
are playing the feed back you get from your body is as important as the feedback
you get from your ears. You can often FEEL that a note is off before you hear
it. The so what is that Beethoven could, as can any musician, feel-  meaning
physically sense - that his playing was off the mark even if he couldn't exactly
hear it. It is, at best, an uphill battle to maintain otherwise. Music is
tactile. Photography isn't. That's what makes them different and what makes your
comparison problematical.

I agree with you. There is no right or wrong in art. But, Classical Music isn't
a comparison which is going to win your argument for you. Like it or not there
are standards in classical music performance. Don't think so? Try going on stage
some night and playing the Dvorak Concerto a half step sharp and a beat ahead of
the orchestra and see what happens. Trust me - it's not going to be excused away
as performance art. You, I think, have ended up in a bit of a culture clash if
not a cultural war because Classical Musicians who have spent twenty years
learning how to play in tune and on the beat get quite crazy when they people
try to convince them directly, or indirectly, that all this time and effort
doesn't matter.

It seems to me that you would like,  rightfully, for your views to be taken
seriously, and that you would like to have them respected and listened to. OK.
But, turn around is also fair play. Some people who live in Beethoven's world
have tried to explain, perhaps a bit roughly, that this world is perhaps a bit
different than it seems to you. Perhaps it would be a good thing if we all did
something which Beethoven couldn't at the end of his life - namely listen.

Barney