Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus/now Disability
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@streetphoto.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:34:56 -0400

John Brownlow writes:

> ....As far as I am concerned, if I became stone blind I would find it hard to
continue
> to photograph BUT until that point I would continue. So long as there
> is some potential for feedback, the project has merit. My eyesight now
> is not so great but it doesn't seem to have affected my ability to take
> pix.

Same situation with my eyes and I am amazed that I can see at all because my
entire career has had heavy eye usage and even at 60 I have no trouble
focusing. My biggest trouble right now is shaky hands (probably can be
easily seen in my pictures) from being too sedentary -- so I have started to
work out.

>  Incidentally, I have no problem
> whatsoever with working as a film director while blind.

I somewhat disagree with this -- as a former film director/DP of hundreds of
TV spots, and occasional corporate video, plus having observed many, many
directors of all genres I would not think it possible. A Director needs to
SEE the many subtle nuances that goes into the making of a film,
particularily when actors are involved. There are just to many things a
Director is responsible for; the look (how the film is lit), the actors
pacing and body movements and facial expressions, costumes, locations. Then
when in post (edit) there is no way that can be done unless you can see that
cut for a scene with one frame more or less making a huge difference. It
would be tough.

sl

Replies: Reply from Gary Marklund <Gary@Marklund.com> (Re: [Leica] Autofocus/now Disability)
Reply from "Marshall Hunt" <huntmc2@fuse.net> (Re: [Leica] Autofocus)