Subject: RE: [Leica] wimpy slightly drunk dutchman
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:35:49 -0500

At 08:18 PM 3/9/03 -0700, Tim Atherton wrote:
>Marc,
>
>I'm no expert on the Turnpike, but the Autobahns date from the initial ideas
>in Italy and Germany 1920's into the 30's, the system being well underway
>and under use by the start of war in 1939 (some 3000km worth by 1938).
>
>the Pennsylvania Turnpike opened as Americas first "Superhighway" in 1940...
>somewhat late in the day. Or is there something about the pre-war autobahns
>that disqualifies them?

The first stretch of the Penna Turnpike opened around 1927.  The entire
length of the Commonwealth wasn't reached, though, until 1940, by which
time the New York thruways and what later became the Ohio Turnpike were
under construction, while California had completed some of the Freeways
around LA.

There is nothing at all wrong with the Autobahn system:  it's just that it
wasn't the first such system in the world.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> (RE: [Leica] wimpy slightly drunk dutchman)