Subject: RE: [Leica] wimpy slightly drunk dutchman
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:16:26 -0500

At 08:14 AM 3/10/03 -0700, Tim Atherton wrote:

>I'm not at all sure about that (at least not as a mutli lane motorway type
>road) - can you point me to some references on it?

Tim

I stand corrected.  The initial impetus for what became the Pennsylvania
Turnpike began in 1910, but the actual project only started in 1934, while
the Commonwealth didn't create the Turnpike Commission until 1937.

New York had built a number of divided-lane thruways around New York in
1934, and Connecticut had built the Merritt Parkway prior to the
construction of the Penna Turnpike.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!