Subject: Re: [Leica] wimpy slightly drunk dutchman
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 21:19:53 -0500

At 05:49 PM 3/9/03 -0800, Martin Howard wrote:

>I think these are both German inventions, with the advent of the first
>Autobahn.  The separation of traffic flows via a median, an overtake
>lane (a concept lost on most US drivers), and on and off ramps are all
>Autobahn firsts, AFAIK, although in the US, the concept was extended
>upon (particularly through spaghetti interchanges) when the Interstate
>system was built.

Martin

The Pennsylvania Turnpike was the first divided-lane high-speed road ever
built, dating from a decade before the Autobahns were conceived.  This road
came equipped was all of the attributes you discuss.  By the time the first
Autobahn was constructed, there were probably 25,000 miles of such roads in
the US.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!