Subject: Re: [Leica] USA / defending NL
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 21:58:51 +0100

Jerry,

That is total garbage. The "lax drug laws" have meant that the
Netherlands suffers much less social fallout from drugs than most other
countries. And child pornography is NOT legal in the Netherlands. The
beer is called Heineken. Get your facts straight before you jump into
debates.

FWIW, The Economist magazine, hardly a proponent of drug-taking or child
pornography, proclaimed the Netherlands the world's best functioning
society, all things considered, a year ago or so. Having worked in that
country for a couple of years, I cannot really argue with that assessment.

In general, might it be possible for all of us to be proud of our
respective countries without denigrating others? I think we would all be
much better off in that case and might even learn something from each
other...

Nathan

Jerry Lehrer wrote:
> Jim
>
> Yes, those and Heinekens beer.  That is ALL.
>
> I assume that he is proud of the lax drug laws and
> the legal child porn also.
>
> There are not many countries with a clear national
> conscience which has the moral right to criticize the
> US.
>
> Along with BD, I am aware of some of our problems,
> but we do have it better than most nations.
>
> Let those who are without sin, cast the first stone.
>
> A proud American
> Jerry

- --
Nathan Wajsman