Subject: Re: [Leica] US Consumer Behavior
From: "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:44:55 +0100

you are raising several points
and i,d like to recap whether i understood you correctly and try to answer
first my remark deals with advertising which is nowhere as advanced as in
the USA
And this is a compliment.
Second the USA became a economic and military powerhouse because of all the
outside effort and people that was poured into it.
Regarding the military bit though one has to realise that ultimately it is
not superior to any other of the five permanent members.
Each has the ability to obliterate any other within 12 minutes.
Economically also it depends a bit on foreign investments.
And on weapons exports.
The last 10 years were great in that respect with all the neat stuff they
sold in the middle east.
Especially to the Saudi,s.The stuff they got is not even in the western
arsenal US included.
A lamp unto the nations is just rhetoric i believe.
For the record, i,m from jewish descent and my being here is probably
related to the english,soviet and american effort in ww2.
However to believe that the American help was purely humanitarian then is
naive at best.The worst threat  was the nazis aquiring  a nuclear device and
their rocket and jet plane methods of delivery.
Anyhow that was then.

The division of old versus new Europe is not a real one and not really
consistent with a modern global viewpoint is it?
We dont have to teach Americans anything.If they want to study history thats
up to them isn,t it?
Whether they learn anything is beyond anyones influence.
What is heard here a lot though is the abolition of the concept of the
innocent civilian.
These days in the developed parts of the world one cannot say convincingly
wir haben es nicht etc.
It is felt that the question why the western world and especially the USA is
under attack is not really adressed.

To change the subject,at the moment it is very interesting to see if the USA
will go it alone.
I  know from previous experience that it has to be now or otherwise later
than November to fight succesfully in the desert.
If the states choose to disregard the UN framework then the other countries
will isolate it i think.
Where is the proof that the USA is under attack by Iraq?
simon
p.s it,s a cold windy night here but i want to go out by boat to try the
stabiliser with the leica for the first time
i,m out of TMZ so i,ll try Scala at 1600 .No idea what that will look like