Subject: Re: [Leica] laws for people photography
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:13:31 -0800

On 3/7/03 Johnny Deadman  wrote:

>Canada is the only country I am aware of where there is any such issue.
>The Privacy Commissioner has expressed concern about municipalities or
>law enforcement using widespread surveillance cameras but that
>certainly doesn't mean there aren't any. There are lots. Moreover there
>are explicit exceptions within the privacy guidelines for artistic and
>journalistic endeavors.

I'm beginning to feel it's time for "Public Oversight" as put forward by Greg
Bear in "Queen of Angels" and "Slant".

Set in a future society where surveillance had been abused (as Ashcroft would
abuse it) a public agency (that makes the ACLU look like a bunch of school kids
playing at defending privacy) called Public Oversight owns all surveillance
records. To have access to any of them you have to go to court, tell what you
expect to see and when and then that information will be confirmed. Another
proceeding required to actually SEE the images.

I thought it was a good idea 10 years ago - I'm more in favor of it now.

Adam