Subject: Re: [Leica] laws for people photography
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:08:20 -0800

On 3/7/03 animal  wrote:

>Some background.The technology now exists to video a street analyze faces in
>"real time" and id everybody.In some countries it was decided to outlaw
>this.

Well, the companies that make the software would like everyone to believe they
have reached this goal but they still have tons of false positives and negatives
so it has a ways to go. I gather that under controlled conditions it works
pretty well but for large crowds it's still not there yet.

Not allowing photographs of crowds seems like a very strange reaction because
crowds will be photographed anyway - just on the sly - and the results analyzed
at leisure.

Adam