Subject: Re: [Leica] LESS BILE PLEASE
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:32:40 -0800

Martin Krieger wrote:

>     I have not been a regular reader of the LUG of late. So when I come back
> and there is so much bile and personal attack, I find it diverting from what
> I value most about this group. Discussions of photography, of Leica
> equipment and how to use it (or collect it), exhibits, dealers, and the
> Friday FS.
>      If there is a new piece of equipment, like the MP, I want to hear from
> users. I don't worry about getting biased views if there are many posted.
> For example, I eventually got a PC 28 mm lens, and discovered how wonderful
> it is for my kind of photography. I might have gotten it two-years earlier
> if there were more discussion of the equipment and its use. Or, I really
> want to know about how a lens performs at the corners. For my kind of
> photography, which in effect values allover the negative, the relevant
> details being everywhere, that is vital. I am willing to give up a little in
> the center for much better corners. This is the kind of observation that
> only experienced users will discuss--and the LUG is wonderful for that.
>     So keep up the technical and practical and aesthetic. I know there is a
> tradition of ad hominem on this group, but there is also a tradition of ad
> photographem and I value that.
>
> Martin Krieger

See Martin if you were a participator instead of a lurker you could say
"how does this lens perform in the corners."
Instead of  getting annoyed time after time that nobody else did. And
then criticize us for it.
Martin paradoxically we get posts like these. People want us to upgrade
the level of posts which go on on the list. They want us more on topic.
Usually nice people like yourself who we've never heard of before.
Might you have some ideas on topics we could discuss right now which
would be of your liking?
A short list of cool treads (topics) would be a boom to the list.

See that is the point isn't it it's all be said we just keep thinking of
ways to re say it differently. Unless something obvious comes about to
discuss like a new piece of equipment.
Will there ever be more then two people on this list who own the PC 28
mm lens and are not lurkers and are up to discussing it?
How many of us non lurkers will get the MD? (I "m really thinking about it)

As none of us on the list have tried the MD yet that would stop all
discussion of it according to your criteria.
I think we can look at the specs and compare test reports. And wish.
And discuss the whole unfamiliar to many mindset of shooting without a
meter in the camera. Which i find fascinating.
How so many people think its the meter which takes the pictures. The
battery takes the pictures (a little closer).

I'm afraid I have to say that when we get posts like this I wonder, "Do
these people think were are here discussing these things for their
enjoyment or otherwise edification?" We are here involved in discussions
which involve US in a natural progression.
The best way to alter the course or tone of a discussion would be to
become involved in it.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com