Subject: [Leica] Re: greedy insurers
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 16:05:24 +0100

It is easy to pick on insurance companies, we all hate them, and I was
laid off by one (reinsurance, OK, but still...) last year. But consider
that even with the current sky-high premiums, medical malpractice
insurance is by far the most unprofitable line of business for U.S.
insurers. Last year the claims-to-premiums ratio was something like
145%. When the stock markets are doing well, insurers can tolerate
ratios above 100% (maybe up to 110% or so) because of the profits they
make investing the premiums until the money is needed to pay claims.
Obviously, in the current environment that route is not available. Until
some sort of sensible tort reform is instituted, medical malpractice
costs will continue to rise, and more and more insurers will stop
writing such coverage altogether.

Nathan

Jim Hemenway wrote:
> Ernie:
>
> This is what I've suspected since 10 or so years ago, when the insurance
> companies successfully fought off the Clinton'e attempts to bring some
> rationality to the health care business.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland

e-mail: nathanw@bluewin.ch