Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V24 #131
From: "Ernest B. Ferro" <ebferro@ebferro.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 04:30:10 -0500

Austin and Buzz:
	Hopefully you won't mind me butting in here but I can't resist
putting my two cents in.  I'm on the board of our local hospital.  We're
a rural hospital located in NW PA.  One of my responsibilities is that
I'm also chairperson of the finance committee.  So, I know a bit about
what gets billed and where the money goes.  In addition, I also own a
business that provides group insurance to their employees at no cost to
the employee. So I also know a bit about insurance costs.
	You ask who gets all the money.  The conclusion to which I've
come is simple.  It's the insurance companies.  Since I see both sides
of the equation, the hospital and doctor side and the business owner's
side, I'm sure it's the insurance company.  Our hospital recently
received an increase of $500k annually in malpractice insurance
coverage.  Do you know what our malpractice claims have been for the
last 5 years?  They've been zero.  So, who's getting the money?
	We recently renewed our group insurance coverage at my company.
It went up 47% from last year to this year.  This is typical in our area
no matter whether the employees have overused the insurance or not.  How
many companies do you know that can raise their prices 47% in one year?
We supply primarily to the automotive industry and our prices have been
in a downward spiral for years.  On the other side of the coin, I see
the hospital reimbursements.  They've gone from 53% of every dollar
billed when I joined the board 7 years ago to about 48% today.  So,
insurance costs are up but reimbursements are down.  Figure that one
out.
	People complain about the bills that they get from their doctors
and hospitals but what the doctor or hospital actually receives in
reimbursement from the insurance companies is considerably less.
	Well, I'm contributing to the OT chatter on the list so I'll
sign off now but just had to get my two cents in.
Ernie

>Hi Buzz,

>> I am not sure what you mean, Austin.

>It's quite simple.  You said the doctor got only $2k.  The overall
billings
>to the insurance companies are far more than $2k.  Who gets all the
money?

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V24 #131)