Subject: Re: Auction site (WAS: [Leica] The new MP is out for auction)
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 16:48:11 +0100

I really do not understand the contempt some people feel for ebay. It is
  a great tool for buying and selling stuff that would otherwise be
virtually unattainable. I recently bought a Pentacon Six medium format
camera and 3 lenses; the camera and the normal lens came from a guy in
the Ukraine, the wide angle lens from a guy in the Czech Republic, and
the long lens from a guy in Poland. I could have spent 6 months scouring
all the used camera dealers in Zurich and would not have found these
items, and certainly not for the price I paid.

As for the idea that buying a piece of equipment (even as fine a piece
as a Leica) should be a lifetime commitment, I cannot agree either. It
is precisely because Leica equipment takes some getting used to that
just borrowing a piece from a dealer for a day (assuming that you have a
dealer who will lend you one) is not going to provide you with enough
experience. I bought a 0.58 M6 in 2000, thinking that it would just the
ticket for my 24mm lens (ignoring the framelines), but after several
months I realized that it was not working for me--I had to squint around
the viewfinder and ended up putting the external finder on the camera
anyway. So I sold it (not on ebay, but still remotely). Likewise, I
decided after 2 years of owning an M3 that lugging an external meter in
my Domke bag was not something I wanted to do anymore, so I sold it and
bought a Bessa R2 as my third body. When I wanted a 50mm lens, I first
bought an old Summilux, then traded it for a new Summicron, added a
Noctilux, before deciding that I only wanted one 50mm lens and selling
the Summicron and the Noctilux in favor of a new Summilux. In each case
I owned the lens in question for at least a year. I see nothing wrong
with adjusting my equipment over time to my changing needs and
preferences. It is after all the pictures that count, no?

Nathan