Subject: Re: [Leica] lens for a newbie
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:29:33 -0500

Richard,
Your question about lenses has been covered by the LUG every few months for
years.  Try a search of the archives found here,
http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/

Generally, though, you will first have to decide if you want a 50, 35, or 28
as a compliment for the 75.

For a 50, if you do not feel comfortable dealing with strangers then I would
look for someone splitting up their Konica RF outfit.  The Konica 50 can be
had very cheaply.  My next choice would be a user Summicron last generation
or two.  If you feel confident of your ability to horestrade then my next
suggestion would be the Jupiter 50mm F1.5 at around $100.  Next, the Nikon
50mm F1.4 or the Canon 50mm F1.4 in LTM.  You will have to acquire the
adapter but these are common used or cameraquest has new ones, as do others.

For the 35mm suggestion,  on a budget new the C/V choices are quite good.  I
would say though, spend the money on either a Summicron pre ASPH or save up
and acquire the ASPH used.  On a real budget, the Canon 35mm 2.8 from the
fifties is a strong performer and can be quite cheap.  LTM adapter also is
required.  If the price is right the 35 Summaron is also a very good lens.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com