Subject: Re: [Leica] Lost kids today (WAS these kids today! )
From: "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:29:18 +0100

What i sometimes worry about is atrophy.
Let me explain.
I have my wifes mobile telephone number in my mobiles number one slot.
So usually i voice dial her or if i want to be discreet speed dial.
As a consequence i forget her telephone number.
With todays phones you,d have most people on voice.
Were in the past i,d refresh maybe 50 memory slots in my main memory
nowadays maybe 10.
Does that lead to atrophy of some remote corner of my memory banks
or is the capacity allocated elsewhere?
Without any doubt however communication errors are reduced.
And that was the purpose of the technology.
From my own field(aviation ) i know for a fact that the highest number of
navigation mistakes are made on state of the art flightdecks.
Usually it is the result of  complacency and sometimes  interface error.
The latter is very interesting because then you get new toys.
The first thing that i noticed 20 years ago when i started frequenting the
United States is that people dont do mental math.
We used to laugh about it.
But is it really that bad .
Even older people who are still proficient at it usually have no concept of
the math involved.
So is there really knowledge lost.
Or just monkey tricks
regards