Subject: RE: [Leica] Pictures and Privacy/Film Industry/Susan Sontag, too!
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:12:34 -0700

Hey, I only asked if anyone had heard a paragraph of something she said on
the radio, for god's sake. I didn't ask you to memorize her books! I was
trying to start a discussion of photography, about subjects. Amazing how
when anyone actually raises an issue on this list that actually has
something to do with art or photographs, everyone starts biting everyone
else's bloomin' heads off! It's nuts!

And guess what? It isn't always necessary to BE a photographer to TALK about
photography. That's the old line that most of the silliest artists always
throw around. One doesn't need to be an artist to be an art historian. Some
are both (I count myself in that lot), but not all are. Some of the best
stuff written about photography was not penned by photographers, and a lot
of absolute schlock was written and said by people who were great
photographers and artists, but were lousy writers. Many artists have no idea
what they're doing, how their work fits in the cultural/historical timeline.
It sometimes takes people who actually have studied history to be able to
make a sane statement about an artist's work.

Now I think I know who the belligerent drunks are!

So there! ;-)

Kit

Replies: Reply from Slobodan Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Pictures and Privacy/Film Industry/Susan Sontag, too!)
Reply from "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net> (Re: [Leica] Pictures and Privacy/Film Industry/Susan Sontag, too!)