Subject: RE: [Leica] Covering Anti-War protest in Philly
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:31:00 -0500

At 08:49 AM 2/16/03 +0100, Daniel Ridings wrote:

>Yeah, I was going to say ... you could always vote, but then again, if you
>live in Florida (whose governor is a certain brother) ... that might not
>do the trick either. Do votes count yet over there? Or is it only the
>opinion polls :)

Ah!  Thank you, Daniel!  This precisely proves my point.  When the
Democrats felt that their votes had been undercounted in three counties,
they attempted to demand -- by public protest -- a recount in those three
counties only, while insisting that the votes of, for instance, US
servicemen overseas not be counted.  Had the Democrats understood basic
politics, they would have insisted on a FULL recount of ALL Florida
counties, and of ALL servicemen and other absentee ballots.  That would
have given them mass public support, as the average American voter believes
in fundamental fairness in the poltiical process and felt that the Democrat
claim was abusive of this.  As it was, the Democrats were afraid to insist
on a full recount, as they realized that the shift in votes in the other
Florida jurisdictions would have favored Bush, so they persisted in a
death-spiral policy which made them a laughing-stock.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!