Subject: RE: [Leica] Covering Anti-War protest in Philly
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:40:25 -0500

At 03:00 PM 2/16/03 -0500, bdcolen wrote:
>To say noting of bringing an end to the Vietnam War...

BD

I don't know your age, but I am 53 and was quite involved in politics at
the time.  The only effect protests had on the US conduct of the Viet-Nam
Imbroglio was to toughen the lines, not to persuade anyone to change sides.
 Hell, the Harris and Gallup poll show a fascinating reality:  from 1965
until 1974, a majority of the American electorate wanted to WIN the War,
though a majority also favored pulling out over a stale-mate.

A lot of things came together to cause the US to walk out on a War that it
ought never have fought but, in the end, the protests were a footnote to a
minor appendix, much as the media made of them at the time.  As Nixon said,
"it didn't play in Peoria", and it sure as hell didn't.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Slobodan Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Covering Anti-War protest in Philly)