Subject: RE: [Leica] Covering Anti-War protest in Philly
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:43:34 -0500

At 04:55 PM 2/14/03 -0500, bdcolen wrote:
>And as to staying home and watching old movies being more productive -
>it all depends on what one wants to produce. If one wants to produce
>photographs of a protest movement, then staying home strikes me as a
>pretty silly thing to do. If one wants to change U.S. policy, then
>protesting is the only thing one CAN do.

Given the weather forecast for Philadelphia today, BD, staying home WILL be
a lot more comfortable!

And there should be a difference between wanting to take pictures of
<editorial comment> screaming, ugly people <editorial mode off> and wanting
to join in the protest.  That is, merely going to take pictures doesn't
make one necessarily a participant.

And, of course, the proper way to change US policy is to contact your
Congresspeople and pressure them.  If you don't like their policies, well,
there will be another election in 21 months.  Read the Constitution, BD:
it's all there, including the right of the people to peaceably assemble and
so forth.  But the preferred method historically of changing US policy is
through political campaigns and not through protests, which have generally
proven quite ineffective in accomplishing anything at all.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Covering Anti-War protest in Philly)