Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M 50mm f/2.0 50 Year Summicron
From: Dr.Alexander.Kraus@gmx.de
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:13:28 +0100 (MET)

Hi John,
of course I checked that before I started to modify the SOOKY-M. Maybe the
results are acceptable if you just use the upper focussing range from let's
say 1m to 70cm AND stop down to f:16 AND if you just make small 5x7" prints.
However if you focus down to 50cm the sharpness suffers greatly, even if
stopped down to f:16. If you take SLIDE with this setup, they are definitely
unusuable.
Is it possible your friend shot the pics freehanded? If so, there is always
a chance that you alter the distance slightly in the time between the
focussing process and the shutter release. This could coincidently lead to some
acceptable results.
I used a tripod in order to check the focus of the SOOKY-setup at the
closest distance and the results were clearly out of focus at all f-stops. Since
there is only one SOOKY-M (or SOMKY) version, the result HAS to be the same
with all modern Elmars (which are all technically identical).
My modified SOOK-Y works now for a fixed distance of 43cm (=17"). You focus
by approaching the object and fire the shutter as soon as get a complete
overlap in the rangefinder patch. It works great and the focus is dead on - even
at full aperture :-)
Regards,
Alex