Subject: Re: [Leica] Correct hood for 35mm 'cron, first version?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:13:03 -0500

Daniel Ridings wrote:
>>not sure which hood is correct for this lens. I believe the 12504 was
>>for the later 35mm crons.
>

> That's the hood I got with my sightless 35 Summicron in 1973. Boy, that'd
> be the first time I could say I had a "later" piece of equipment :) Still
> works.

The 12504 is definitely correct for the 2nd version 35 'cron which would
have been the one available new in 1973. As I'm sure you know, this is
the hood with the "split" design so you can use series 7 filters inside it.

> According to "Handbuch des LEICA-Systems" from Sept. 1, 1980, the 35mm
> Summicron should use 12524 and the 12504 is listed for the 35mm Summilux.
> I just happened to have that book lying around. No one in the store could
> read German back then so I got it for free.
>

>>I've seen one published reference to the
>>12538, but I thought that was for the 50mm crons and the pictures of it
>>make it look too deep for a 35.
>

> The hood for my 50mm Summicron (also 1973) is 12585. It can be used for
> 35mm but only 35/2.8 and 35/3.5, not the 35/2.0 Summicron.
>
> I've only seen a couple of 35 crons with eyes. I think all the dimensions
> were the same.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there is some subtle difference
because the 12504 doesn't lock in well on the first version 'cron the
way it does on the second version.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem