Subject: Re: [Leica] Bessa R2 with 90mm Apo Summicron
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:47:44 +0100

John Collier wrote:
> Please test the lens carefully with a tripod and a inanimate object. You
> may even place the camera on the inanimate object and photograph the
> tripod if you wish. It is not uncommon for the camera or lens to need an
> adjustment. Usually it is the camera but, to be fair, I have seen both.
> If the body or lens is slightly off, it can drive you bananas trying to
> get sharp pictures wide open and close. A 90/2AA has less dof wide open
> than a Noctilux so you have to be careful.

My wife's garden gnome IS fairly inanimate, at least during the day ;-)
I suppose I am just stretching the R2 too much in this situation. I know
for sure it is not the lens, since it performs perfectly on my M bodies;
likewise, I do not think the R2 is faulty, as it works fine with my
other lenses (all shorter). So I have to conclude that it is simply a
matter of asking the R2 to do something it simply cannot do well.

> That said, I have one as well and have no troubles focusing at 1m/f2 on
> my 0.72 TTL. Not to say I do not have other problems: intravenous drug
> use, rampant alcoholism, appalling taste in interior design; but, I can
> focus an 90/2 no problems. It kind of takes the pressure off the other
> stuff :-)

Glad to see a man with a sense of priorities ;-)

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland