Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Epson 2200 for B/W. What's the verdict?
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:56:06 +1100

>Hi Simon,
>I can only answer the many questions re the 2200 as a novice user, but what
>I've seen and accomplished in a very short time, I have to say the quality
>of B&W prints have me "almost" convinced I only require my wet dark room for
>making contact sheets!
>
>The 12" X 18" prints we've made from scanned negs at 4000 on 13 X 19 paper
>from B&W Tri-x, Tmax, HP5 and even negs from 45 years ago are coming off the
>printer better looking than a wet print of equal size. It's quite amazing at
>the quality with better gradation, blacks and clean whites and contrast than
>one can accomplish through an enlarger and wet skills of printing methods
>and grades of paper.
>
>And I'm still learning after a couple of months. I'd say a skilled computer
>PhotoShop scanning technician would blow me out of the water with the extra
>quality available through their skills. If printers keep improving in this
>direction, and I can't believe I'm writing this after being in wet darkrooms
>since May 1950, I feel sooner than later the wet darkroom set up will only
>be used by the absolutely die hard folks.
>
>Trust me I'm not kidding, as this 2200 has me wanting to print like crazy as
>it's so easy and creating beautiful prints that once I sit down and start, I
>don't have any desire to quit. :-) Why?  Because the prints are so
>incredibly beautiful! :-)

Ted,

I will therefore look forward to seeing the images for the FOM2
project ;-) Perhaps these will convince me. Tina's images last year
were superb, but still quite different from a Darkroom print. Not
better not worse, different, and large areas of black, still shine
occasionally. I can see that the ink jet or other forms of digital
printing are the way to the future, but it does interest me that many
companies are now moving to digital printing to photographic paper
- --- If I could afford the new Devere digital enlarger, I'd give it a
go ;-)

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin