Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Epson 2200 for B/W. What's the verdict?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:58:58 -0800

Simon Stevens aasked:
> What's the verdict on the Epson 2200 for black and white?  I have a
chemical
> darkroom, but I no longer have enough time to use it.  I'd like to switch
> a digital darkroom but while I have been very impressed with the results
> from Piezography, I don't think I have the time nor patience for that
> either.  <<<
>
> On paper, the Epson 2200 looks pretty good. I have heard good things about
> it as a color printer, but I haven't talked to anyone who does serious B/W
> who has one to get a verdict on the results from scanned B/W negatives.
How
> do the results compare with a chemical darkroom?<<<<

Hi Simon,
I can only answer the many questions re the 2200 as a novice user, but what
I've seen and accomplished in a very short time, I have to say the quality
of B&W prints have me "almost" convinced I only require my wet dark room for
making contact sheets!

The 12" X 18" prints we've made from scanned negs at 4000 on 13 X 19 paper
from B&W Tri-x, Tmax, HP5 and even negs from 45 years ago are coming off the
printer better looking than a wet print of equal size. It's quite amazing at
the quality with better gradation, blacks and clean whites and contrast than
one can accomplish through an enlarger and wet skills of printing methods
and grades of paper.

And I'm still learning after a couple of months. I'd say a skilled computer
PhotoShop scanning technician would blow me out of the water with the extra
quality available through their skills. If printers keep improving in this
direction, and I can't believe I'm writing this after being in wet darkrooms
since May 1950, I feel sooner than later the wet darkroom set up will only
be used by the absolutely die hard folks.

Trust me I'm not kidding, as this 2200 has me wanting to print like crazy as
it's so easy and creating beautiful prints that once I sit down and start, I
don't have any desire to quit. :-) Why?  Because the prints are so
incredibly beautiful! :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant