Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 2003, Week 2...
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:07:35 -0800

> > Rob Mason's  PAW 2003, Week 2...
> >Here is my second offering to the PAW for the year:
> >http://www.leica-gallery.net/rcm/image-37730.html<<<<<<

Tom Smart offered in response:
>> > To me it looks like there is indeed a point of interest - the guy
crying, or
> scared, or whatever on the far right; the one everybody is looking at.
I'd
> say it wasn't captured in a way to carry the composition, but I bet that's
> the point.<<<<

Hi Tom,
Not to get into a long winded discussion, certainly without Rob here, but
with my humblest apologies, the guy isn't crying, he's looking down at what
appears the hands of a woman helping with his life preserver. I could read
into the shot... "a crew member." And he isn't the point of the focus,
that's my point! Because, the couple are and you can't really see what
they're looking at in a meaningful manner.

The couple who are in focus maybe kind of looking at him, but more than
likely just in front of him, as the "helper person" is adjusting his life
vest straps. And if the guy being assisted is the "centre of the photo" he
still isn't in focus in any event.

Whatever ones attempt to make something out of this picture, it's completely
a non-event and my point was to explain to Rob why it doesn't work
regardless of either of our points of view. It's far too easy to read things
and interpret events trying to make something out of a photograph, than just
looking at the content in a .... "does it work or not?"

To make it work he should've moved to a better shot angle, possibly a step
forward or used a wider angle lens. But at the moment it just sits there and
doesn't wash as a meaningful photograph.

ted

Replies: Reply from "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com> (Re: [Leica] PAW 2003, Week 2...)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] PAW 2003, Week 2...)
Message from "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com> (Re: [Leica] PAW 2003, Week 2...)