Subject: RE: [Leica] Constructive Criticism
From: "Jeffery Smith" <jsmith45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 17:28:25 -0600

The image that started this thread was [I believe] one that was
completely out of focus. There are several ways to criticize such an
image, one of which is "That belongs in the trash". I don't agree with
that approach, but maybe the images should go into a folder of failures
with a brief note attached that indicates that at least something in the
image needs to be in focus or that impressionism in pictorialism doesn't
work if nothing in the image is recognizable. And a fellow LUGer can
tell the shooter that without giving him a swift kick in the ass. A less
punishing comment like "it doesn't do anything for me" at least shows
that it is an attempt that didn't work. But harshly punishing comments
meant to produce better images in the future via avoidance of punishment
don't work at all. Avoidance of punishment doesn't motivate anyone to do
anything. I'm sure that nobody on this forum has murdered anyone, but is
that simply because they wanted to avoid jail time?

Show me someone who says that he/she got to where he/she is today via
avoidance of pain, and I'll show you someone who is painfully mediocre.

Jeffery

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Constructive Criticism)