Subject: Re: [Leica] Constructive Criticism
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:49:44 EST

In a message dated 1/9/03 9:53:17 AM, sonc@sonc.com writes:

<< Isn't truth in these matters someone who agrees with you?  To some,

the cheesy grin might make the picture, to some the grin might not be

cheesy at all . . .  Extremely subjective, and IMHO not a valid

criticism. >>

Other than blatantly "off" shots, most criticism to me is extremely
subjective, isn't it.  I've seen LUG criticism where the shot was considered
"too dark" and I looked at it and thought it "atmospheric."  Some like
crystal clear shots, whereas for me, I tend to prefer (in many cases) a
little mystery to the shot.

Sometimes what might make criticism more "on point," is when the dialogue
occurs as to what the shooter was attempting to do in pressing the shutter.
If it was a pretty sunset one was attempting to take and there's a large
glowing double arches of macdonald's in the center of the shot, you might say
the shooter failed in their attempt.  On the other hand, if one was trying to
make a statement, the glowing arches dominating an otherwise pristine
landscape would be rather telling.

So for me, criticism most hits it's mark, not only when it talks about
"technique" but also goes to the mind and heart of the matter as well.

Kim