Subject: Re: [Leica] Portra B & W Film
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:31:57 EST

In a message dated 1/6/03 9:50:15 PM, leirex@access4less.net writes:

<< Hello,

  This Portra B & W film is process in C41 as color film.  Then are prints

supposed to be on color paper or black & white paper?  I used Kodak lab

through local Longs which process as developing and printing color film on

color paper.  So prints do not look real black & white.  Kodak lab does not

seem to know anything about this film.

Best Wishes,

David >>

Just like the others said, my understanding is that it's supposed to be
printed on color paper.  The difference between Portra and TN is that you use
the same filtration on your Portra BW as you do on Portra Color, so that once
the lab has correctly dialed in the color they do the exact same with the
black and white.  I'm more a traditional BW chemistry person so I can't tell
you if this is true or not, but I think the idea is that portrait and wedding
photographers can sleep easier knowing both their BW and color portrait
emulsions are treated exactly the same in the lab.  I'm not sure that Longs
is the place to get the Portra stuff developed to your specifications.

Kim