Subject: Re: [Leica] Constructive Criticism
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 17:53:52 -0800

Sonny Carter admitted:

>>> You have, on a rare occassion, pissed me off with your comments, but I
do
> know that they were delivered in a hope of helping me, and I took them as
> such.<<<,

And that's Sonny's way as a pro re-acting and accepting the comments of
another pro. Man if it weren't for the photo pro brethern and sistern I'd be
a poor example of a photographer if I sloughed off their criticism and just
dismissed it.

Even today after all these years, I live in fear of what fellow pros will
say when I show new material... ( certainly that which I think is really
cool,) :-)   It's what their comments will be, as they can be very
intimidating, particularly when they start, "Well I think, uuummmmm.  " And
your heart goes thumpity thump waitng for the brick to fall! Scary as all
get out! :-(

Then a comment is made and you think, "Son of a gun why didn't I see that
when I was cropping or printing?" And your open response is, "Hey thank you,
as I didn't see that or think of it in that manner."  And they make you look
like a better photographer. And that is what critique is all about, whether
some of you believe that or not. Even when you get reemed out or your ass
kicked! It's meant for your own benefit. :-)

Photography is a never ending learning process no matter who one is or years
of experience. So if you're into photography with your heart and soul, get
ready to always have someone point out an improvement no matter how simple
it maybe..... as they do it to make you a better photographer.

>>> Then you have the guy who simply comments, "That's the worst picture
I've
> ever seen."  Truth is, we get lots of good shots here, and no one comments
> either way, certainly not with candor and knowledge of the craft.<<<<<

I know we've heard that before, "no comment." And that leaves the
photographer wondering... "is my picture that good they don't need to
comment?"  Or... "my picture is so bad no one wants to hurt my feelings?"
And this is a tough call for me, hell I'm not afraid to kick ass nor give
pats on the back. But in reality one has real world work to do and even
though I look at many pictures, they get a glance and click. Only because I
don't have time to either look at them all and I certainly don't have the
time to comment good, bad or ugly.

And in the case of Sandy and myself being on the road for the better part of
Jan-Feb-Mar.shooting, there isn't hope I'll ever see all the posts, let
alone make comment on pictures.

> camera I'm considered an old guy myself by the likes of John Strauss, but
> hey, even KyleCassidy is getting to be an old fart, he admitted that to me
> today!<<<<<

Cassidy is getting to be an old fart? ;-) Damn with all those sexy chicks
around him all the time, he'd better get over that feeling very quickly or
he's in deep trouble. ;-) An "old fart indeed!" Like holy blue blazes not
for another 40 years at least! :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant