Subject: [Leica] Christer Strömholm exhibition in Malmö
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 19:05:30 +0100

Following a tip from a LUGger, I spent my last full day in Copenhagen
today on driving across to Sweden to see the Strömholm retrospective at
the Malmö Konsthall. It is a large exhibit (around 300 photos) and so
quite eclectic since it covers most of his long career (he died last
year at the age of 84). Very much worth seeing if you are in the area. I
especially enjoyed his Paris work, both the street scenes and the life
of the transsexuals around Place Blanche. The latter work is a good
example of someone gaining the trust of a community which is obviously a
tiny minority even compared to, say, regular homosexuals, and producing
a body of work which shows its subjects in a dignified and compassionate
manner but still focuses on the central theme, namely their quirky
sexuality.

The exhibit runs until 19th January, entry is free, and the art centre
is easy to reach from the E20 motorway. The address is:

Malmö Konsthall
S:t Johansgatan 7
Malmö
http://www.konsthall.malmo.se

The centre is open 11-5 daily, although may be closed on some
Sundays--check the web site.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman