Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Longevity
From: "David Rodgers" <daverodgers@lightcurves.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:46:22 -0800

Neil

>>It seems that photographers are doing what you would expect them to do with digital and shooting hundreds of frames for each shoot where they would have shot dozens before.<<

Low cost per frame was digital's big draw for me. I factored everything and found that I wasn't really saving that much. Had some problems and spent more on repairs in one month than I had the previous 10 years  using Leicas.

I also learned that my style of photography -- portraits, landscapes, postcard and decart images, some documentary and editorial support, etc. -- doesn't benefit from high volume. In fact, I came away with fewer quality images even when shooting 10 times as many frames. Shooting digital wasn't as much fun, either.

About a year ago I was all ready to sell my Leicas. I'm sooooo glad that I didn't. I'm back to film. Digital cameras weren't a good fit for me. I sometimes wonder I'm alone in that experience.

- --
DaveR
www.lightcurves.com