Subject: Re: [Leica] exposure question
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 06:47:19 -0800

Simon jessurun asked:

> Hi, I,d like advice on the following regarding exposure.
> Normally i try the old advice of metering zone VII and then decreasing
> exposure by 2 stops.However with my favourite scenes at night my meter
> cannot register as low as that.Getting a better is not really an option
> since i think it is quite good allready(minolta).So i end up bracketing
and
> adjusting levels a lot.Would you know a better way of doing it?<<<

Hi Simon,
Probably lots of very expensive meters out there more sensitive, even then
"bracketing is the way to go in most cases," it only costs a few frames. Why
you might find the slide / negative bracketed two stops under or over
becomes the best image of the selection regardless of the basic setting
selected by meter and photographer.

Depending on the assginment or photo subject, I try a bracket or two,
obviously there are picture situations where it's not practical to bracket,
IE: people moving and action situations. But in general I shoot one or two
what the meter says, then I bracket a series of 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2 under and
1/2, 1, over. In some cases all of them are OK looking at them individually,
together, the best one pops off the light table .

For my money bracketing is best after shooting a couple of the set meter
readings.

ted

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] exposure question)
Message from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> ([Leica] exposure question)