Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Opinions on the Performance of the Tele-Elmarit - M 90 f2.8 Lens?
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:57:38 -0800

Well, I have to admit that my tests were never so extreme. All I used
mine on were shots of talking heads with sky in the background, with a
smattering of site shots.
The lenses always, always let me down. The only other comparison I had
at the time was a 105mm Nikkor. Ultimately, I sold off the last 90 TE,
with it's internal spongy coating problem and stayed with the 105mm.
That was 12 years ago. I eventually sold off the Nikon gear,  only
keeping my 120 gear for commercial shooting.
Only now with the R8, have I tried to re-intregrate my Leica gear into
my editorial work.
The last very real problem, 3 years ago, with a 90 was with the pre-apo,
last version 'cron. It too, wide open, had a hideous flare problem. I
sold that too and finally settled on the last version of the 90
Elmarit-R. A decision I never regretted.
In particular, I had problems with the lens numbers from the period that
the Leitz family allowed the company to sink into a toilet hole. I avoid
those years like the plague, no matter how good sounding the deal might be.
Slobodan Dimitrov