Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW - Snow over Nagog (or Not the Essence of Where I Live)
From: Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 16:07:46 +1000

For someone who does not do landscapes you sure know your way around a
camera. These are very beautiful  "portraits of a landscape".  I say that
because you have breathed life into this area around your home. I know that
my comments do not help you to improve, but I can honestly say that,
althought I have my favourites, ALL of them are spot-on. I felt a sense of
calm in your images that caused me to revisit many of them a few times.
Congratulations.
Rob

Phong wrote:

> My house is just over the side of the pond in this PAW.
> The area was hit with a snow storm (nothing major) on Friday.
> I went out a few times to get the fresh snow.   All photos are
> less than 1 mile from my house, the photos of the pond were
> all taken within 10 feet.  The orchard is 1/4 of a mile away.
> And yet, this is _not_ the essence of where I live.
>
> This series is also a bit unusual for me in that I don't often do
> landscape or nature photography.  I had GeeBee in mind
> when taking some of these photos, and try to include more of
> the sky  (the clouds, boss, the clouds :-)), but in the end gave up.
> We just don't have those English clouds around here.  (See
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/sywell_37.html for what I mean)
> I also tried  a couple of  panoramic crops, not my usual style.
> (Actually, to get rid of the empty sky above  :-) )
>
> In any case, of my own photos in this series, my favorite is:
>     http://www.pbase.com/image/8512664
> If I had to choose an alternate:
>     http://www.pbase.com/image/8512800
> But I am very bad at editing my own photos.  I would greatly appreciate
> if you could take a look at the rest at
>    http://www.pbase.com/phong/nagog_pond
> and give me your frank opinion for what works, and what doesn't.
> As always, comments, good and bad are welcome.
> Equipment:  Canon digital SLR (D30), with Canon and Leica lenses.
>
> Opine away.  Thanks !
>
> - Phong
>
> --

Rob Heyman M.Photog