Subject: Re: [Leica] Last weekends Wedding - 100% Leica
From: Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:38:04 +1000

Hi Ted,

"the costs are so prohibitive and the public so
retiscent to pay high fees for this sort of coverage."

My understanding of Gerry's statement was that it costs more to photograph a
wedding my way than his way.  It seems to me that ANYONE can offer my sort of
coverage. I use 6-8 rolls of 35mm and sell from proofs. That part is pretty much
the same cost all over the world.  Gerry can then offer the album and prints for
any price he wants. I would like to know how Gerry photographs a wedding and how
the costs would become prohibitive for him.

As far as pricing the album, you are absolutely correct. We should price our
work to whatever the market can stand. The market will set your price.

Rob

Ted Grant wrote:

> Rob Heyman sked:
>
> > "As for the market, and here I assume you mean the costs, how does
> > it cost more for to cover a wedding without any extra lights, assistants,
> 120
> > cameras AND WITH just a kit of Leica over your shoulder?"<<<
>
> Hi Rob,
> It has nothing to do with the cost factor of reality in any case..
>
> It has everything to do with the balls to state your price of $20 K and make
> it sound you are asking $200.! :-) And right there is the secret of making
> the big money! State the price, don't blink, snicker or anything but stand
> there and calmly wait for the answer, because they will say one of three
> things...
>
> OK that's fine, what is the drill for the wedding day? :-)
> Seems a bit high but for that money you must be damn good! You get the job.
> :-)
> Drop dead you must be crazy! :-(
>
> It's having the mastery of the marketing technique which damn few
> photographers have, because we really want to take pictures and rarely time
> to develop the selling technique. Then there are the guys who have all the
> marbles in the bag and sell themselves like magic. And in this case they
> always get their bride!
>
> ted.... whose never had the balls to try it! ;-)
>
> --

Rob Heyman M.Photog
32 Binyara Street
CHAPEL HILL   Qld   4069