Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lenswork Magazine
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:09:33 -0500

At 07:01 PM 11/9/02 -0800, you wrote:
>I think the basic "point of departure" is......
>
>If you happen to disagree or dislike the agenda behind a story, it is
>"propaganda".
>
>If you happen to agree with, or share the agenda behind a story, it is
>"documentary".
>
>Everyone who sets out to 'tell a story', or 'make a difference' as it
>where... sets out an agenda, or, is trying to accomplish some goal. Even the
>people who hire Tina to do her wonderful work in South America has an
>agenda. Same for Salgado, Smith and every other person who ventured into
>'documentary' (or propaganda) photography.
>
>Jim G

Jim,

I have no objection to my work being considered propaganda or documentary
photography.  I do think that anyone going into the situations that I do
and photographing with no feeling for the people or their situation would
come back with some pretty "soul-less" photos.  I'd rather be considered a
propagandist than soul-less  ;-)

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com